Why is Chocolate Toxic (Poisonous) to Pets | Dogs and Cats?

Chocolate toxicity or poisoning is a fairly common occurrence, especially in dogs during the holidays. Cats can also suffer from chocolate poisoning but they are less likely to eat chocolate than a dog will.

The type of chocolate consumed is also important if a pet will suffer from an overdose of chocolate and become toxic or poisoned.

This video explains why dogs and cats are vulnerable to chocolate toxicity and gives some guidelines.

To read the complete article click here -> http://petpav.com/why-is-chocolate-toxic-for-dogs/

Disclaimer: Please note that this content has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Do not delay treatment based on this content, and when in doubt, seek veterinary professional advice!

 

Click here to learn how to induce vomiting in an emergency.

Click here to learn how to give activated charcoal at home if you can not get to a veterinary hospital.

How to Give Activated Charcoal if Your Dog Eats Something Poisonous (Toxic)

If you suspect your pet has ingested a poison or something toxic, the first thing you need to do is call your veterinarian or veterinary emergency hospital.

This video shows one method of giving activated charcoal to a dog.

Activated charcoal adsorbs a chemical or toxicant and facilitates its excretion via the feces. It basically acts like a magnet, attracting and holding the toxicant to its surface so that it passes through the gastrointestinal tract without being absorbed by the body.

Usually after inducing vomiting, activated charcoal is given to help absorb some of the remaining poison or toxin in the gastrointestinal tract. Some products have Sorbitol added to act as a cathartic and move things more quickly through the intestinal tract, so less toxin is absorbed.

In order to give the activated charcoal the dog needs to be able to swallow. The activated charcoal can comes as a suspension, granules, in capsules, tablets and a gel as seen in the video. Giving a suspension, such as Toxiban, can be very messy and the charcoal will stain. Both a suspension and granules can be added to some food and some dogs will eat it, but many won’t or feel ill to eat. Within a veterinary hospital, commonly, a suspension is given orally, slowly via the side of the mouth or by a stomach tube. Using a stomach tube at home is not recommended and needs to be done at a veterinary facility. Using the gel, as shown in the video looks like a method that could be done in a home environment.

After administering activated charcoal your pet’s stool will be black, which is perfectly normal.

Dosage: 0.5 – 1.5 grams per pound of body weight (0.5 – 1.5 gm/lb); therefore a 5 lb dog would need 2.5 to 7.5 grams of activated charcoal. A 10 lb dog would need 5 – 15 grams. A 100 lb dog would need 50 to 150 grams. Based on these amounts you do not want to use products, such as tablets or capsules which are dosed in milligrams (mg).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer: Please note that this content has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Do not delay treatment based on this content, and when in doubt, seek veterinary professional advice!

 

Click here to learn about chocolate toxicity-poisoning.

Click here to learn how to induce vomiting in an emergency.

 

 

 

 

How to Induce Vomiting if Your Pet Eats Something Poisonous

This video by Dr. Justine Lee gives basic and important guidelines on when and how to induce vomiting in your pet if needed.

There are times when it is incorrect or dangerous to induce vomiting in your dog. When in doubt, contact your veterinarian, your emergency veterinarian, or the non-profit ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for life-saving advice 24/7. If you do induce vomiting, make sure to do so correctly with the right amount of hydrogen peroxide (3%), with recent ingestion, and as long as your dog isn’t showing any symptoms of poisoning.

The important points are:

  1. Best to call your veterinarian or Animal Poison Control first.
  2. Only safe thing you can use at home is First Aid Grade 3% hydrogen peroxide!
  3. The hydrogen peroxide must be fresh and not outdated. Pour some down the sink and see if it bubbles.
  4. Do not induce vomiting if your pet already has symptoms of poisoning or is too weak or comatose.
  5. Do not induce vomiting if your pet ingested something caustic or corrosive ,such bleach.
  6. Do not induce vomiting if your dog has a medical condition that could cause the vomitus to be aspirated into the lungs such as megaesophagus, laryngeal paralysis or in brachycephalic breeds (bulldogs, pugs, Boston terriers, etc) and it snores. Safer to have your veterinarian induce vomiting.
  7. Dose is 2 tablespoons (30 ml) per 25 lbs. Never give more than 4-5 tablespoons (60 – 75 ml) total.
  8. Another way to dose is give 1 milliliter (ml) per pound of body weight. One teaspoon is the same as 5 ml; therefore 1 tablespoon is 15 ml.
  9. Can use a turkey baster or syringe to give. Squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of the dog’s mouth.
  10. If vomiting has not occurred within 15 minutes or so, give one more dose of hydrogen peroxide measured out as described above. If vomiting still does not occur, call your veterinarian or the pet poison control center/hotline back for instructions.

This is the type of Hydrogen Peroxide you are looking for ( do not get 35% hydrogen peroxide):

Disclaimer: Please note that this content has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Do not delay treatment based on this content, and when in doubt, seek veterinary professional advice!

 

Click here to learn about chocolate toxicity-poisoning.
Click here to learn how to give activated charcoal at home if you can not get to a veterinary hospital.